Sunday, June 27, 2010

Chicken Enchilada's

I love to eat Mexican food and for the longest time I was afraid to make Enchiladas. Then one day I found a recipe on Allrecipes.com and tried it out. True to form, not entirely following the recipe. I had to add my own little touches. The enchilada's I made were awesome and became a regular in our house. Every time I made the enchiladas I would do something different and now they are almost completely from scratch.

Chicken Enchiladas

2lbs (approx.3 boneless skinless chicken breast) cooked and shredded
2TB butter
1 small onion,diced
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapeno's (seeded if desired to control the heat)
1 red pepper,diced
1 can diced green chili's
8oz pepperjack cheese, diced
1/3cup flour
2 cups milk
10 tortillas (I used whole wheat)
cilantro (optional for the cilantro haters out there)
black pepper, fresh ground to taste
2 cups of cheddar or Mexican cheese, shredded (optional)

For the chicken you can use rotisserie chicken from the store or bake it or grill it. I prefer to boil it as follows:

2lbs chicken breast
8 cups water
sliced onion
1t red pepper flakes
sea salt and fresh ground pepper

boil chicken until done/no longer pink inside. Set aside chicken and onions to cool, to shred for later.


Step 1
in frying pan melt 2TB butter and add onion, garlic, red pepper,green chili's, and jalepenos. Cook until Onions are transluscent and pepper's are soft.
spicy trinity?

Step 2

Add milk and flour (I use a tupperware quick shake) and diced pepperjack cheese. This will make a creamy cheese sauce. Add cilantro if desired and fresh ground black pepper, to taste.

cheesy spicy cream sauce

Step 3
Take shredded chicken and mix with 1 cup of sauce mixture and mix well. Place 1/4-1/2cup mixture in middle of tortilla and roll .


all rolled up

Step 4

Once all tortilla's are rolled pour creamy cheese and veggie sauce over tortilla's. If desired cover with shredded cheese.

ready for the oven

Step 5

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes

all baked and ready to eat

Voila there you go almost completely scratch made enchiladas... You could go that extra mile and make your own homemade tortilla's and use fresh green chili's but that is up to you. With 4 kids i'll stick to the premade tortilla's and my Hatch green chili's

my from scratch enchiladas

No comments:

Post a Comment